Higher Education System of Andorra
Higher education in Andorra is offered by one public university- University of Andorra and two private universities- the Universitat Oberta la Salle and the Universitat de les Valls. This institution offers study programmes in business and administration, nursing, educational studies, dentistry, computing science, and other related fields.
Laws Regulating Andorran Higher Education
Law: Law 12/2008 regulating higher education (Llei 12/2008 d'ordenacio de l'ensenyament superior
Law: Qualified Law of Education (Llei qualificada d'educacio)
Higher Education Qualifications
University Level First Stage: Batxelor (Bachelor)
This is the first level of studies offered by the University of Andorra.
- Duration: 3 to 4 years, depending on the field of study
- ECTS: 180 credits
University Level Second Stage
Batxelor d'especialitzacio (Bachelor Specialization)
- Duration: 1-2 years
- ECTS: 60 credits
Students must hold a bachelor's degree in order to gain admission to master’s degree programme. To complete master’s studies, students are required to carry out a research project.
- Duration: 2 years
- ECTS: 120 credits
University Level Third Stage: Doctoral
Students must hold a master’s degree for entry into the doctoral programme. The doctoral studies require students to complete and defend an original doctoral research thesis.
- Duration: 3 to 5 years
- ECTS: 180 credits
- Qualification awarded: Title of Doctor
Universities in Andorra
University of Andorra (Universitat d'Andorra, or UdA)
The University of Andorra, formed in 1997, is the state public institution and is the only university in Andorra. The University of Andorra offers first-level degrees in educational science, nursing, business administration and computer science. It also offers professional education courses. University of Andorra has 2 graduate schools:
- Nursing school
- School of computer science: This school offers PhD programme.
Private Universities in Andorra
- The Universitat de les Valls is Andorra’s first private university which specializes in the dental medicine
- The Universitat Oberta la Salle (Open University of La Salle-Andorra) is a private, long-distance university which provides masters degree programmes in computing studies and business administration.
For Bachelor’ Degree Programme: Students must hold secondary education certificate- Baccalaureate or an equivalent qualification.
For Master’s Degree: Students must hold an Andorran Batxillerat/bachelor’s degree or an equivalent qualification.
For Doctorate: Students must hold master’s degree or its equivalent qualification, recognized by the Ministry, for admission to the doctoral programme.
Prospective students must fill out a preliminary enrollment form. Choose the programme of study you want to undertake. Fill all the necessary details and submit the form to the university with the documents. Pay the required fees.
- School education transcripts: Secondary education certificate, subjects undertaken and score received. Students must have passed Official test high school (POB).
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of purpose: It should include the reasons for this particular university and programme of study.
- Birth certificate
- Language requirements: Catalan language proficiency certificate
- Research project description